Saturday, March 14, 2009

Emphasis

I teach early morning seminary to high school age teenagers. This is a class organized by our church. It is a religion class that involves an in depth study of the scriptures. This year the curriculum of study is the New Testament. I really enjoy teaching seminary. It has given me the opportunity to grow closer to Heavenly Father in the process of preparing the lessons for the students.

Through my increased study of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I have come to understand just how important the Holy Spirit is. The Spirit is so very important. We can truly learn the gospel only by staying close to the Spirit of the Lord. It is through the Spirit that we develop a testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ. It is through the Spirit that we have the ability to know the will of the Lord and receive the personal revelation that is essential for us to progress in this life.

I have learned that if I think I haven't felt the Spirit in awhile, or haven't had any spiritual experiences lately, I need to determine what I have been doing to drive the Spirit away. The Spirit of the Lord will not dwell in unholy places. When I find something that would keep the Holy Spirit away, I need to change. I need to fix the problem.

I believe one of the most important things about living your life so that the Spirit of the Lord will dwell with you is that it helps you be more submissive to God's will. Even when you live worthily, you will probably not constantly feel the Spirit of the Lord, but you will keep that line of communication open. And you open yourself up to the promptings that come from the Lord. You put yourself in a situation that you have the ability to recognize Heavenly Father's hand in your life.

A testimony of Jesus Christ and the truth of His atonement is revealed by the Spirit of the Lord. That is also how a testimony grows.

1 comment:

Princess Gerty said...

Thank you so much for that meaningful post, M!