Sunday, October 26, 2008

God's Whispering and Yelling


While listening to the world-wide General Conference of our church, I had the prompting through the Holy Spirit that I needed to do more to follow the advice of our leaders. We are encouraged to have food and other necessities on hand in case of an emergency. I knew one thing our home was really lacking was water storage. We only had a few gallons stored, and that would last our family less than a day. Well, I didn't do anything. That night, as I prayed, I was reminded again about the need to be prepared with things, including water. Well, I got busy the next day with more frivolous concerns and didn't do anything.

Finally, my friend came over to my house and told me about her concerns about being prepared. She emphasized that one thing we really need is enough water. I started crying. I knew God was trying to tell me something. It was not in my plan for the day, but I went out the the store that afternoon, and among other things, bought extra water. Then, I wondered what kind of disaster might stop the tap from running. I think I did a good job not freaking out. I told myself, maybe nothing bad would happen and God was just testing me. I decided that at least I knew and God knew that when He commands, I listen (even if it takes a few times!)

Well, the next day our water filter broke. It may seem like no big deal, but if you have ever tried to drink tap water in Arizona, you know it's pretty disgusting. So, I was very grateful that I had many gallons of tasty drinking water on hand. It kept us happy until we could buy a new filter. This may seem like such a trivial thing, but it is reassuring to me. I know that God is aware of me and my needs--even my future needs. I also know that I need to listen and obey promptly. He will guide and direct us through the Still Small Voice, if only we will listen.

2 comments:

John said...

I was just talking to somebody a couple days ago about the tap water in Arizona. Isn't it great that the Lord will help us in all things?! Thanks for the post!

B said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing! It is so comforting to know He really cares for us in all times and places!